Sometimes user often see this error “SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified” while connecting to SQL server.
SQL Server Error 26 occurs when users trying to connect to a SQL Server named instance. The reason of the SQL Server Error 26 is the client stack could not receive SSRP response UPD packet from SQL Browser.
How to Fix SQL Server Error 26
You have to create an incoming rule that allows traffic from all promising IP addresses that are configured for the failover cluster instance and from all possible IP addresses of the remote server. For this you have to follow the below steps
1. Open Administrative Tools from Control Panel
2. In Administrative Tools, click on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
3. Under Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer column, click on the Inbound Rule and select New Rule from the right panel.
4. From New Inbound Rule Wizard window, select Custom and then click on the Next button.
5. Select All programs then click on Next button
6. From Protocal type list, select Any and then click on Next button.
7. Select These IP addresses and then click on Add button.
8. In IP Address dialog box, under This IP address or subnet type the IP address and then click on OK button.
9. Select Allow the connection and then click on Next button.
10. Click on the Next button to complete the New Outbound Rule Wizard steps.
Other Caused of SQL Server Error 26
SQL Server does not allow remote connections
- To resolve the SQL Server Error 26 open SQL Server Management Studio, Right click on the database and select properties
- On Security page, select SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode and click on Ok button
- Restart SQL Server
If you are still facing the SQL Server Error 26, then there could be a same name conflict between two systems. Check whether the computer name, system name is same if yes, then try to system using its IP address.